The Official Boston Marathon Treadmill 4.0 is certainly a training equipment that is great for our home or the gym. It arrives with various features that one can only expect from the best in the industry. Pro-Form, being one of the leaders in innovation and training equipments came up with a product that can fit the requirements of not just the average runners but of those in the professional level as well. The minimalist design of the Official Boston Marathon Treadmill 4.0 will surely fit in any home or office. Built with precision and accuracy this Pro-Form treadmill boast of its wireless chest strap that continuously monitors the heart rate reading and displaying it on the touch screen during the entire run. The speed ring is another feature that one can only find in this particular model. It can conveniently be worn on your finger and help one adjust speed from a minimum of one-tenth of a MPH up to 15 MPH. This is with the help of the Bluetooth 4.0. The treadmill also comes with Boston HD video workouts and onboard training programs. The videos are displayed on the treadmill’s 10” full-color touch screen, simulating the conditions of the race not just in video but with its automatic incline or decline also. The impact control can help you adjust the running conditions experienced by your joints. The iFit live technology which is powered by Google Maps will allow a person to experience the route right on this fine piece of equipment. All you have to do is draw a map and you will experience it right on the Official Boston Marathon Treadmill 4.0. The weight capacity of this treadmill is a whooping 400 lbs. It also has a powerful drive system which is the 4.25 CHP Mach Z Commercial Pro Motor. While the running space is 20” x 62” 2-ply commercial treadbelt which in non-stretch.
- Though not technically a feature of the treadmill, all profits from buying this treadmill are donated to charity (this might only be temporary however)
- You can adjust the speed of the treadmill using a ring that you wear on your index finger which is something we haven’t anywhere outside the Official Boston Marathon series of treadmills
- Rare extra-long 62″ belt supported by an equally rare 4.25 CHP motor
- Respectable 6 year parts and 3 year labor warranty
- Most treadmills only go up to 10 or 12 MPH; this is one of few treadmills from Proform or any brand that goes up to 15 MPH
- Most treadmills incline up to only 12% or 15% but you get a steep 20% max incline and 6% decline here
- Adjustable cushioning allows you to choose between a running surface that reduces stress on your joints or a surface that mimics the road or pavement
- Built-in sensor to detect your stride rate and also suggests the optimal stride rate depending on your speed
- One word: Price
- Not everyone would prefer the minimalist design (no side handrails) of the Official Boston Marathon 4.0 Treadmill especially for beginning runners
- Not the best value for money
- Not sure how many built-in programs treadmill comes with
(Price at time of review is $3999)
In our opinion, The Official Boston Marathon Treadmill 4.0 by Proform is not designed for your average user. It is designed for those who are serious about their running such as marathon runners or professional athletes. For first time users or even just your average runner, this treadmill is likely overkill.
Even though the 4.0 Official Boston Treadmill has a lot going for it and it has also a few things that few other treadmills have, the price is just hard to stomach. But if the price were to be cut in half during sale days, this one is a steal.
For those buyers who DO want all the latest and greatest Proform features but can’t afford the 4.0 Boston, the Proform Pro 9000 and Pro 7000 (both costing less than $2000) also released in 2013 are worth looking at.
2017 Price Guide
Excellent Deal At $2200 / Great Deal At $2500 / Good Deal At $2800